Xtreme Tactics Forum

Xtreme Tactics Forum (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airsoft Related (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone use Bolle X800T X800 Goggles? (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003)

malfactor 10-11-2006 11:19 AM

I have a JT Elite Alpha paintball mask with Anti-fog lenses. The whole set up cost me about $60. I've been using them for the last 10 months and am VERY impressed!

Amos 10-11-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfactor
I have a JT Elite Alpha paintball mask with Anti-fog lenses. The whole set up cost me about $60. I've been using them for the last 10 months and am VERY impressed!

Hrrm.. I could definatly go for for something that's 60 bucks instead of 150...

I'll check these out.

malfactor 10-11-2006 09:57 PM

The masks are cheap (around $30 - $35) at Walmart but they come with regular lenses. I picked up some anti-fog lenses from Alter Ego Sports down on Pembina for $30. The also have a plastic cleaning solution (like foaming glass cleaner) I recommend for cleaning as well. It costs about $15 but with a proper cloth, it won't scratch the lenses. Also, I've had the same can for about 10 months and I play almost every week.

Spa 10-11-2006 10:39 PM

is anti-fog the same thing as sweat coming off you face and blurring the mask? Or we just simply talking about condensation from heat and cold hitting the mask?

Zeta 10-20-2006 10:59 PM

Ok, here's my two cents.

The amount of fog depends on the amount of heat that your body (mostly your eyes) emits. The more heat, the more prone you are to fogging. Simple as that. And depending on how much heat you actually emit, depends on how strong this solution would be.

Now I personally have a huge fogging problem myself. I've tried everything from shaving cream, anti fog spray from your local stores to some specialty $20 anti-fog cream that comes in a film canister :P. And they all only work for a "short" period of time. NOT a good solution. (Please note, my main fogging issue is from my glasses) So I usually just wear contacts when I play for extended periods of time. It takes me forever to wear contacts with my tiny asian eyes (approx half an hour). I have to literally stretch them out to the point where they would almost bleed to get those suckers in :P

Honestly I think your best solution would be a goggle fan system. As long as you have a fresh battery, you are good to go. It works just like a ventilation system; it sucks the trapped air out allowing fresh to cycle in.

You don't have to leave the goggle fan on the whole time; you just turn it on when you need it (when you see signs of fogging).

The only thing that might bother you with this is:

a) it uses batteries...which isn't that much of a problem as they fan doesn't use up much power.

b) it makes a fate buzzing sound which could get on your nerves (however it's not like you leave it on for the entire game).

Most brand name goggles (like ESS or JT) sells goggle fan adaptors that you can purchase OR you can make your own by visiting some local computer shop (talk to Mr. Wong). Which is the more affordable way to go.

A thermal lens works very excellent as well. However depending on how you treat/store your mask, regulates how long the lens will hold up. Which in turn means you shouldn't really touch the insides or get the insides dirty, because whatever’s on your lens could eat away at the thermal coating. This also applies to cleaning solutions as well. Certain solutions will eat away at lens sooner, so instead of cleaning/protecting it, you are causing harm faster.

I've seen people like Malfactor that uses the same lens for 10 months, and I've seen guys who have to replace them on a weekly/monthly basis. So it's up to you. A thermal lens works, but it's more so of a lasting cost in my opinion but it does work and if you care for them, they will serve you well.

For obvious reasons we decided on the mesh mask. Never fogs, super low maintenance
(won't scruff up the lens, easy to clean, and most importantly it works). However these mesh masks does have a couple of downfalls. They don't work well in the dark (harder to see then a clear lens). And they aren’t very good in desert/sandy environments. So when the wind blows, you are bound to get sand in your eye which isn’t very pleasant.

p.phresh 10-21-2006 09:26 AM

the cheapest alternative:
Get a pair of Classic Army goggles from XT (Sry, don't know the price, but fairly cheap anyhow), go to radio shack, get a micro switch, some 9-volt battery adapters, and a micro cooling fan for a computer (it's about 2" x 2").

Cut a couple holes at the bottom of the goggles for vents, and cut a large hole at the top, zip tie the fan over the big hole, wire it up so the fan sucks the air out and zip tie the battery to the strap and you're done!

If you can find a small enough switch, there's a spot on the side of the goggles where you can run some wires and stick the switch where it's easily accessible. If i get chance, i'll take some pictures of mine.

Amos 10-21-2006 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.phresh
the cheapest alternative:
Get a pair of Classic Army goggles from XT (Sry, don't know the price, but fairly cheap anyhow), go to radio shack, get a micro switch, some 9-volt battery adapters, and a micro cooling fan for a computer (it's about 2" x 2").

Cut a couple holes at the bottom of the goggles for vents, and cut a large hole at the top, zip tie the fan over the big hole, wire it up so the fan sucks the air out and zip tie the battery to the strap and you're done!

If you can find a small enough switch, there's a spot on the side of the goggles where you can run some wires and stick the switch where it's easily accessible. If i get chance, i'll take some pictures of mine.

This sounds like a good idea -- and pictures would really help.

Thank you. (I got a paintball mask.. But the lenses are so bad I can't see out of it normally.. I may buy thermal lenses then wire up a fan to my PB mask..

TripWire 10-22-2006 05:35 PM

FYI - I own and faithfully use T800's and they will still fog after time. I'm talking half a year or so though. They come with a factory anti fog coating which helps, but wears away over time.

MadMac 11-17-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_ding
Have you tried Petland yet? They have some nice fishtanks there. Those should fit and the best part is you won't lose any peripheral vision. And if you're out on the field, you can disguise yourself as a fishtank too.

Best of all, you wouldn't need a helmet either! It would be an all-in-one solution!

204HOE 11-22-2006 02:17 AM

For XT stick with the mesh mask and for outdoor, safety glasses or goggles like ess or T800