Xtreme Tactics Forum

Xtreme Tactics Forum (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Intros (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   nother n00b joind the forums (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129)

g00mba 06-20-2005 12:11 PM

nother n00b joind the forums

Hey all,
I've been searching around the site and really like what I hear. I've never played yet but I'm looking to in the near future. If I like the game I believe I'll get a weapon and hopefully I won't get too schooled.

My name is Jon, hope to see some of you in person soon but take it easy eh!
:p

Sparky78 06-20-2005 12:29 PM

Welcome to the boards jon

kid_ding 06-20-2005 02:47 PM

I'm sure you'll enjoy your first game at XT, everyone does.

TheToastmaster 06-21-2005 12:37 AM

Ding is right, even though he's always kidding.
Welcome.

Jmacs 06-21-2005 08:20 AM

when will we ever get tired of his name :)

g00mba 06-21-2005 10:27 AM

I'm really looking to try this out... Would it be worth going to XT tonight?

I have a friend that wants to do it up as well
:cool:

p.phresh 06-21-2005 02:12 PM

if you go tonight, you'll prolly end up playing 1 on 1 if you're only bringing one friend.

If you're interested in playing in a larger game you can try joining in a game that's already been scheduled. Or get a larger group orgaized and request your game time, once it's posted up you may have a few people join in on your game.

Also, if you get a group of 6 or more, the organizer plays for free. valid from tuesday to thursday.

kid_ding 06-21-2005 04:48 PM

Weekends are best time to go. Check the boards to see if there are any scheduled open games. If not, phone XT and see if there are any. If you leave your name and number, we can call you if more people call looking for games.

g00mba 06-21-2005 08:43 PM

Damn, I could have gone down tonight (Tuesday). I just looked now and saw that there was an open game :eek:

Oh well.

I'd be up for a game on Saturday, although I would be car-less, I can probably bus it down to XT.

Or that Friday night game. I'm trying to line up my plans this weekend, but things kind of got switched around on me.

Feel free to let me know if there are games coming up and I'll try to make one by my lonesome or with a friend. I'm also trying to get 5 others people together for a week night game.

On another note, I was talking to a friend and he was saying that his buddy has a TM M4A1 that he has never used and might be interested in selling it. Since I've been looking around at other peoples posts and trying to stomach as much as I can off the ASC site, I thought the Colt 733 Commando looked like a nice weapon. It looks to me that the 733 and the M4A1 are more or less the same gun design but the 733 is a bit smaller. If anyone has comments on either gun please post them.

p.phresh 06-21-2005 11:18 PM

basically my aeg is an m733. It's a really short m4. Pretty much, it's a custom built CQB armalite. Well... actually jim built it for me. It's a great gun, i thought i'd never like an armalite, but i've got to say i love my gun.

you should pick something that you like. Something you're gonna wanna use. Find something that suits you or feels comfortable. For instance, i liked the look of the FA-MAS and thought i should buy one, then i tried one, i held it and i didn't like the feel of it, same with the Aug. I eventually decided on a G36 as my first AEG, and i loved it. it was really nice to hold and it felt really solid. But i got rid of it cause i needed something smaller and lighter, and that's where i am now.

Jmacs 06-22-2005 01:40 PM

take bus 14 on ellice, towards the airport Takes you right infront of it :)
i should know cuz i used to bus there with a big black docksport case. Now i have my ride and just drive there. Go straight down ellice towards the airport till you can't go straight no more.. Turn left... Then you'll see it on your left side. Don't laugh at the place though i did that with a couple of friends when we were going by.. And we were like wow its a pretty small place. But when you get inside not only the Airconditioning blows you away... The arena will too. You'll be shaking in your pants during the briefing as well. Good luck ^_^.

TheToastmaster 06-22-2005 06:23 PM

There's a map on the homepage if you want to walk to it from Polo Park if the 14 is out of your way. That's easy too.
www.xtreme-tactics.com (if you didn't know somehow)

MrWongJr. 06-22-2005 09:15 PM

It's actually quite impressive from up high. Saw it from my return flight from vancouver (also managed to see my work place, my house and Toastmasters house too).

But yes: If you own an airsoft gun, treat it like a real firearm and keep it as inconspicuous as possible and in a locked container. Just a reminder..

Besides: Cheap rifle cases are available at your local (not St. James) CanTire/SIR/Wholesale sports location.

g00mba 06-23-2005 09:47 AM

Thank you all for you help. I checked out www.winnipegtransit.com and I have a bus route. If it comes down to it I can bus it :p

I live at Stradbrook and Osborne, any bus will work for me to get anywhere in the city, lol.

P.Phresh,
So you like the armalite? I really like the look of those weapons. Hopefully I'll like the feel. How much did it cost you to mod yours to the way it is now? Are the same mods availabe for the M4A1? How long is your gun now? Is the M4A1 a decent CQB gun? I want something that I can use in both a CQB and an out door skirmish or milsim.

I really want to make it to XT for the saturday game at 7:30, what time is it good to show up for a meet and greet? Will anyone that I've been posting to in this thread be there? My girlfriend should be home by then so I won't have to bus it.

With the next statement I'm about to make, I know I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, but here it goes.
I've been looking at the KS2 website and forum, would this event be too intense for a n00b to come to? Would it be enjoyable for someone like myself? Some people in my family hunt so I think I would be able to get my hands on some camo, although I don't know if it would be MARPAT or CADPAT or DPM or whatever... I'd also need goggles (are there any good ones that fit over glasses? yes i'm a four eyed freak!), something for my head, gloves, boots, and of course a vest that holds gear, and some sort of water carrying device. I know that I haven't played yet, but I've watched some videos and I've been reading as much as I can. If this is over my head please let me know.

Anywho, hope to see some people on saturday, and I'm trying to get 6 dudes together for a Tuesday night game next week, the 28th. So far i think i have 4-5, if i have 5 the 6th shouldn't be hard to get.

Thanks again! :cool:

204HOE 06-23-2005 10:10 AM

we'll be there and you'll prolly recognize us coz were hate by many at XT lol... i know who your are :D

g00mba 06-23-2005 10:15 AM

So 204HOE your going to be there for the 7:30 game?

p.phresh 06-23-2005 11:51 AM

when you get to xt you can use the m4a1. It's a decent length. With a supressor my m733 is just as long as a stock M4. Without supressor, it goes up the front site of an m4. Makes a great cqb gun since it's so short. I always recommend the mp5 for new comers because it's shorteer and a lot easier to manuever inside the arena, and it's lighter.

but since my gun is such a shorty, i don't worry too much about it. The other thing is, sometimes, i'll just go with a pistol anyways and then it doesnt matter at all.

204HOE is always there... he'll join anyone's game, if you want he can prolly be your 5th or 6th man, or at least him and reggie can be part of your group. But if it's your first game, you may not want to have them play against you.

If you're planning to make KS2 your first game... don't. If you really want to play in KS2, it's advised that you get into a couple outdoor skrims, and ops. KS ain't no walk in the park. Unless the people in your family wear army issued camo to hunt it is not advised that your wear hunters' camo. You need to purchase the required BDUs. CADPat and US Woodlands are available at UAS. You'll alaso need to purchae a few other things, same as you've mentioned above, camel back, load bearing vest, boots, facemask/goggles, etc. If you're planning on renting a gun from xt, you'll definately need to purchase the rest of this stuff which could run you from as little as $100 to $1000 depending on the quality you get.

TheToastmaster 06-23-2005 09:09 PM

I'm a bit of a noob too and plan to go to Keystone, so you could certainly go with me, g00mba. I have my gun(s) but I need more mags, and gear.
I've only been out to one outdoor game, though I would have been to more by now if my shotgun didn't need repairs...
If you need help finding gear, it's not too hard, and I shall be going BDU and other assorted gear shopping soon, so I'd be willing to help.
Bear in mind that if you have basically no airsoft stuff, you'll need to spend a whole whack of cash all at once to be ready. I still do, and like I said, I have my guns.
All that aside, you really will have to get some experience with outdoor games before going for a 24-hour Op. The MAA has games almost every week, so once you have a gun, and mags and such (gear not entirely necessary to start with normal scrims) you can probably go to some.
The MAA boards are where to go for that info.

g00mba 06-24-2005 12:49 PM

Awesome, sounds great toastmaster!

Oh I've done a good amount of research and realize that it is going to be expensive. LOL, but it is all for the greater good. I would be very interested in getting into some of the MAA games. After I try XT out on Sat and Tuesday I'll have a good idea of what I want to do, then let the games begin :D

I'll need:

1. BDU - which would people suggest. looking at the KS2 forum for Blue team most ppl have MARPAT and US Woodland. What about CADPAT and DPM?
2. Hat/helmet - which would be a better choice?
3. Goggles/facemask - do my goggles need to have a facemask?
4. gloves
5. load bearing vest
6. boots
7. camel back

I'm hanging out with that guy whos buddy has the M4A1 so I'll talk with him about it tonight.

I'm an all or nothing kinda guy, so we'll see what happens.

I'll be at XT on saturday. I'll try and get into the 6pm game and owned up. So, would 5:30 be a good time to be there are at? Should I come earlier?

oh, and FRIDAY!!!! damn it feels good to be off work already

p.phresh 06-24-2005 01:27 PM

1. you should look into getting some cadpat. dpm or ODs. The blue force is currently locked down til the canadian team can beef up a little, so you'll want to join the red team. If you need to get an LBV, get an OD or black one so you can wear it with all types of camo.

2. you will prolly want to get a matching boonie hat. most can be found for less than $20. it'll be far lighter and cooler to wear than a helmet.

3. you don't have to have a facemask but you do need some sort of eye protection. Most paintball approved facemasks will work, but for breathing and comfortability you may want to check out some ballistics goggles or safety glasses. But make sure they can withstand a ballistics test. I myself prefer to wear a facemask with mesh goggles, but i will also bring a pair of goggles/glasses with me in case i need to change it up.

well, hope your first time at xt is enjoyable. but remember to obey the rules, and you won't get shot.... by a ref that is.

g00mba 06-24-2005 02:52 PM

Toast have you signed up for KS2?

kid_ding 06-24-2005 03:22 PM

4. gloves - choice of gloves is all up to you. Whether you want reinforced gloves (sold at XT) or just shooting gloves. Then after that, decide on whether you like full finger or half fingered. I have both but I personally prefer full finger. Half gives you a better feel for the gun while full gives better protection. What you could do is get full but just cut off half for the trigger finger on the right glove.

6. boots - whatever you want. Jungle, SWAT, whatever. I don't suggest steel toes, they're heavy. I wore them once and they weren't that comfortable. Jungle boots drain out water fast but they won't keep you dry. I just got SWAT boots and they are very comfortable.

3. facemask/goggles - do you wear glasses? if you do, facemask would be best bet. They don't fog up and you'll have less problems with them. There are goggles that go over glasses but I personally don't like them. Goggles tend to fog up a lot and even that anti-fog stuff doesn't work 100%. Get contacts if you can.

g00mba 06-24-2005 04:48 PM

4. gloves - i think i'd go with the padded full glove

5. boots - why do the jungle boots drain quick but don't keep you dry?

6. goggles - yes i do wear glass, i HATE glasses, but I'd rather wear them then contacts. I haven't worn contacts in about a year or more. Why do you suggest a facemask with glasses?

Thanks for the help! Well tonight I'm going out, gotta get off the boards.... but it is too hard....

TheToastmaster 06-24-2005 05:22 PM

I haven't signed up yet, because I don't have enough gear yet, and my being there will probably depend on the presence of people I am familiar with being there (on my team) as well.
I'm getting OD, I'm not a fan of CADPAT or DPM.
Most gear is easy to get, especially if you don't mind used stuff.

You'll need other simple stuff like a pistol belt of some sort just to help with load bearing, and you'll want a radio for Keystone too.
You won't necessarily need a vest, many people use other forms of load bearing like chest rigs, webbing and pouches. Myself, I don't have any big mags to carry, since my shotty shells all go on my shotty, and I'm going to have my sidearm on an SMG rig probably, which also holds its mags. I'll probably just have an assortment of belt pouches and loadbearing suspenders to keep my pants up. It all depends on what you're packing, and how much you're carrying.

kid_ding 06-25-2005 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00mba
4. gloves - i think i'd go with the padded full glove

5. boots - why do the jungle boots drain quick but don't keep you dry?

6. goggles - yes i do wear glass, i HATE glasses, but I'd rather wear them then contacts. I haven't worn contacts in about a year or more. Why do you suggest a facemask with glasses?

Thanks for the help! Well tonight I'm going out, gotta get off the boards.... but it is too hard....

It doesn't matter how careful you are, your feet and socks will get wet. Trust me. I suggest a facemask because they are mesh and won't fog. I've played wiht glasses under my facemask and they do fog. With goggles, it'll double the amount of fogging.

TheToastmaster 06-25-2005 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_ding
I suggest a facemask because they are mesh and won't fog. I've played wiht glasses under my facemask and they do fog. With goggles, it'll double the amount of fogging.

I know there are countless discussions about this online, but I think it mostly comes down to personal preference. I have glasses and I get far more fogging from XT's Sansei masks than I have using Borrowed Paintball goggles...
With mesh, the mesh won't fog, but depending on how you breathe (seriously) your glasses might. In XT, I find that my glasses often fog when I'm trying to move more slowly, and stealthily and sight in a target because I start to breathe through my mouth instead of my nose for some reason. The mesh won't fog, but it still keeps moisture in...
Goggles shouldn't fog as long as you get some soap or wax to keep them from fogging (there are many methods to do this), though there are certainly enough places where you can read about goggle fogging problems...

MrWong 06-26-2005 11:49 AM

I've heard that mesh masks can restrict your vision in low light scenarios. I've certainly noticed that it is harder to aim with a mask on than goggles in the back room.

Jmacs 06-26-2005 07:05 PM

the black mesh practically blends in with the dark thats why you get some difficulty shooting. when im in the dark i practically prone and think to myself.. is it really worth it to go out there right now.. so i just wait till someone runs by my sights and then run for it when i feel comfortable :D

Zeta 06-26-2005 10:56 PM

g00mba,

Regarding boots, the main question goes down to the use of them. Indoor or outdoor? If outdoor which field?? Now if these were purchased for KS2 then I will STRONGLY recommend Jungle boots. Knowing the field myself your feet WILL get wet regardless, and your going to need Jungle boots to drain that water out.
With waterproof boots, you would run into issues if your stepping on water that's over a foot high because the water would seep in from the top of the boot (where your foot would enter) and STAY in your boots until you flip your boots upside down. In most cases waterproof boots will do you fine (I usually use my old pair of Danners), but in wet areas like THE RANCH, and in a 24 hour game, you are BOUND to step in some.

Regarding mesh vs Lens goggles.

They both have pros and cons in each. However at XT since it's an indoor facility mesh was the best choice. Toastmaster, you don't notice the fogging with lens goggles during an "outdoor" game for the pure reason of you being outdoor, indoor is a whole different story/ball game. I have gotten PLENTY of customers with personal goggles trying to play at XT with them, and ends up coming back 15 mins because they were fogging (even tho they have never fogged once outdoors). Price of the goggles and brands doesn't matter, we've gotten low end walmart ones up to high end JT's and Bolle's and fogging still applies because your indoors. Air circulation and body heat emits differently from a TacSim and MilSim game. The overall action intensity in a TacSim game is alot more compared to a Milsim one. 45mins in XT will make you sweat more then you would then a 6 hour game outdoors on a sunny afternoon. Now I am not promoting one over the other, they are both just as fun and both are different in good ways. I just used the comparision regarding fogging.

Mesh Mask
Pro:
-Doesn't fog UNLESS you wear glasses, then your glasses fogs regardless.
-Less maintance you don't really have to replace the lens ever, unless your picky and you mind little dents.
-Does not reflect light (so it doesn't give off your position) (you can also buy mesh screens for paintball goggles to prevent reflection).
-Not as costly compared to others.
Cons:
-Like what the Jap Russian said, it's harder to see in the dark (since the screen is black in a black setting). However this isn't THAT big of an issue in my opinion. It just takes time to get use to. I had to learn this the hard way. During one night game I decided to leave my mesh goggles behind and use a lensed one....least to say I was fogging like a mofo because it was dark the humidity also increased so even on a pair of goggles that won't fog in the daytime did at night (regardless of coating).
-Limited models
-Doesn't fit everyone perfectly. Now in my opinons comfort is a HUGE deal, I mean especially if it's something you have to wear for a long period of time. And depending on how your face is shaped/sized it might not be the greatest fit.
-Not good for certain conditions. Such as rain (as the water would just run down the screen which doesn't really help) and to clear it you pretty much have to remove the goggles and shake them. With lens you can wipe it off). And in sandy areas you can get dust and sand in your eyes easy which sucks ass.

Lensed Mask
Pros:
-Alot of choices, and when you have alot of choices you are bound to find something you like and works well with you.
-You can pretty much buy them anywhere as it's not a speciality item.
-Clear so you vision is almost regular, not like mesh were if you have to adjust your eyes into see the correct patterns.
-Good for most styles of play wet/dry/sand, etc.
Cons:
-Fogs regardess. Firstly it depends on the person, the amount of heat that emits from an individual differs alot. Second the type of lens or whatever type of coating it has. Some fog resistance ones are amazing, however the shit wears off the more often you use it, and the more often you touch it (as in cleaning and maintance). And once the coating goes, you pretty much have to replace your lens. Which means $$$ Which also include damage from normal use like scrufs.
-Solution for fogging?? You can always a) replace your lens (more of a solid fix) b) buy fog resistance spray c) Rig up a goggle fan system (which is perfect if you don't mind the little buzzing sound it gives off, and it's not like you would have it on constantly, you only turn it on when you notice fogging to clear things up.

To be honest it's always best to have both.

And you really have to weight what is more important to you. Now I choose mesh most of the time because fogging is a HUGE problem for me, nothing ruins the game more then not being able to see at all. This problem has ruined MANY games for me (which is why I wear contacts when I play). But in certain fields I would choose lens googles/shooting glasses if it's a nice day outside or if I'm around alot of dust and sand.

I wouldn't recommend shooting glasses to anyone tho. No offense to those using them as I use them as well. But just for liability factors. They don't offer a compete seal around your eyes and they arn't secure (as most don't have straps). So your glasses can easily slip off during intense heat/action (say if you were to dive down into a bunker) and depending on the shape of your face, it leaves alot of space for bb's to travel. They are good if you want to take the risk... But once again not recommended due to safety reasons.

And that concludes another one of my essays. :P. I guess I'm just trying to make up for my lack of posts.

I hope that helps

g00mba 06-27-2005 06:01 PM

It seems like jungle boots it is...

This is probably a real n00b question but do the lens goggles face masks come apart into the face mask part and the goggles. I would like something where I'm not running around with a mask on in the bush. Whether it is mesh or lens I think I would prefer Lens. Any suggestions?

Toast, you up for going gear/BDU hunting one day?

TheToastmaster 06-28-2005 07:10 PM

Sure am, I have to get another gun case soon, and look at BDUs and stuff.
Lens goggles can be bought on their own at most paintball places sans mask (I have to get some too). I believe that most paintball store people should know whether certain goggles are rated right for airsoft. (right?)

gypsy 06-28-2005 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToastmaster
I believe that most paintball store people should know whether certain goggles are rated right for airsoft. (right?)

Most paintball-store people are idiots who know virtually nothing about airsoft because they spend all their time/money playing (duh!) paintball.

Don't ask paintball-people for advice about airsoft....you don't take your car to a plumber to get fixed, do you?

:cool:

Bascially, any goggle that's impact rated for ANSI Z87.1 or higher is fine for airsoft....that mean 99.9% of new paintball goggles.

TheToastmaster 06-28-2005 09:36 PM

Who needs paintball-shopkeepers for info?
Thanks Gypsy.

Zeta 07-02-2005 06:41 PM

If I'm not wrong, MOST paintball goggles do allow you to remove the face mask piece. (Although some models/types don't allow for it, so it's really something you have to see when you first touch it). Or you can ask the guys at the store, I'm sure that if they don't know, they won't mind cracking open a box to let you check it, or let you see the display model.

Regarding not wearing a mask in the bush.....I really don't know what to say. Alot of guys don't, however I can think of countless times where branches would strach up my face/baring body pretty bad, and alot of times I'm glad that I have a mask on when I'm running in the bush. So it's really your call. I've eve had a time where a branch (or something) cut my forarm open (it wasn't a deep cut tho, but it left a nice red mark for a week or so).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the mask doesn't only protect you from bb's aimed at your face, it protects you from the elements as well.

It's the matter of caring and not caring. Regardless of how "careful" you might be, shit might still happen. Are you going to carefully walk threw the bush avoiding branches hitting your face while your running away from a fire fight because you have to retreat??? I don't think so.

Even tho alot of guys don't give a damn about what happens to their face (which is probably most of us here). So it's really up to you.