Xtreme Tactics Forum

Xtreme Tactics Forum (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airsoft Related (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New player looking for advice (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207)

Whisper 05-07-2007 09:32 PM

New player looking for advice

So I'm a new player (SHOCK!) and I'm looking over equipment to buy, specifically a good primary weapon. For now I'm just playing indoors at XT and renting, but I would like to get my own gun that I can customize a little and build up some experience with. Having said that, the gun I'm looking at right now is a FAMAS from TM. I was wondering if anybody had any insight to help me make an informed descision about what kind of primary weapon I should buy. I've already decided I'd like a Socom as a backup, although with that as well, if anybody has had a terrible experience I'd love it if you could tell me so I don't waste lots of money. Please let me know if anyone has used either of those guns, and what they are like please. oh, and the Socom is TM as well, a gas blow-back.

Vortex 05-07-2007 10:57 PM

tm soccom crap i dont use pistols. Tm famas awkward to use i find. Have you done any reaserch on these guns yet at all?

MrWong 05-07-2007 10:58 PM

When choosing a FAMAS you really only have one option (ok two but it's all exterior accessories that make the difference) which is the TM. The TM FAMAS is regarded as a well built (if somewhat plasticy and creaky) rifle that, as long as you don't upgrade it, you should get good value out of. That being said there are little to no upgrades available for the gun (internally) so if anything does break you may be out of luck. The FAMAS is the only TM gun to use the version 1 mechbox and since it's a dinosaur in AEG terms no one is going to be making any new parts for it any time soon.
Externally there are a number of options you can go with but it doesn't have the same versatility that some of the RIS/RAS guns out there have for accessories.
As long as you're planning on playing indoors I would say it will do you fine but if you ever get the itch to play outdoors the other inevitable itch (not the ticks!) is the desire to upgrade by which point is not as good a choice.
The only other thing I can mention on the FAMAS is that it is a bullpup configuration (duh) which does take some getting used to if you've been using standard guns. While you don't see many FAMAS' around you can probably find a few players with AUG's which (if they let you handle it) can give you an idea of what reloading a FAMAS will be like.
The final downside to the FAMAS is that despite the fact that the real-steel counterpart does take standard STANAG magazines (although performs much better using French service ammunition) the airsoft version will not take the standard STANAG mags without modification to the magazines. This means that if you accidentally leave your magazines at home you will not be able to borrow some mags at XT.

If we now turn to the SOCOM Mk.23 Mod 0 there are two choices TM and KSC. The KSC is a GBB which means it has "blow back recoil action" (with Kung-Fu grip!) which makes it enjoyable to shoot although I can't comment on it's durability. The TM is an NBB which means there is no blow back but at the same time it does make the gun considerably quieter than most others. If you couple the suppressor that comes with the TM you get a very quiet gun indeed. The TM can run just fine on propane but you will have to modify the mags slightly to insure the mags can handle the extra pressure. Once the modification is done the SOCOM can be used as a primary outdoors if necessary.
One thing to note when considering a SOCOM: The gun is big as in Desert Eagle territory. If you haven't held one please ask the helpful staff at XT and they will happily show you one provided they have one laying around. I mention this since most regular holsters will not fit the SOCOM.

Since it appears you're going for the whole "Metal Gear Solid/Solid Snake" weapon selection don't forget that you also have to grow a mullet which is probably his greatest weapon of all.

"Here endeth the lesson" - Sean Connery as Jim Malone

Jyce 05-07-2007 11:03 PM

I currently run a Famas SV, smooth 16 rounds per second rate of fire(on a 8.4v), 272 FPS, and decent range.

The major downfall of this amazing gun, is the lack of upgrades (which isnt really neccisary unless you want your gun shooting 400 fps and using a 9.6V battery) That and it's also VERY plasticy, which i don't mind, it's not like i'm going to be throwing the gun down a 5 foot hole anyways.

I find the rifle almost perfect myself, amazing rate of fire, because it's a bullpup the barrel is nice and long with a compact package, nice sized lowcaps (68rnds), TWO safeties and the iron sights are extremely easy to adjust on the field (just move it with your finger).

One thing i absolutly LOVE about the gun is it's weight, feels like a featherweight compared to other rifles at a mere 3kg. The majority of the load being in the stock of the gun, making it almost effortless to hold up; ready to hose someone down.

Here's a couple reviews for you so you have a more in-depth look at it:
Review 1
Review 2

Rommel 05-07-2007 11:04 PM

I hope you are age-verified, if you are looking to purchase anything within the Airsoft community in Canada.

Any item that is used should be approached carefully and cautiously

You should make sure you are positive that the hobby or sport of airsoft depending on your view that you can dedicate yourself to it before making any kind of a purchase.

Also, we do not discuss the buying or selling of airsoft weapons on this forum, and we cannot give you any aid in your search, other than the above.

All I can really say I hope is go to:
http://mb-airsoft.com
or
http://airsoftcanada.com

Hope I wasn't harsh in anyway, however we really cannot discuss the sales of airsoft weapons on these boards.

NOTE: Rich if you read my reply PM me if i said somethin i shouldn't have

TheToastmaster 05-08-2007 01:13 AM

I'd highly reccomend the TM SOCOM. To be honest, coupled with the suppressor, it's probably the best overall gun to use in XT (in my opinion). I used one for several months, and since it is accurate, has decent FPS, ridiculously quiet, and reasonably small, it can easily hold it's own in the arena. It's usable outdoors, but makes a bad sidearm though because it is so big, and there isn't really any good way to holster it with the suppressor attached (and you'll seldom get a chance to thread the suppressor on during combat).

I don't have experience with the Famas, but any bullpup will prove its worth in combat outdoors generally, since the long barrel-to-length ratio will give it very good range for its size.

john.doe 05-08-2007 07:21 AM

I personally love my MP7. Compact, quiet, and deadly accurate.

I had an MP5K-PDW for a while too, and it worked VERY well indoors, but like almost every other airsofter out there, I got the Armalite itch, and traded it for an M733.

If you want to use XT's magazines, I would recommend an MP5 or Armalite (M15, M4, M733, etc...), although we have G36 mags too (and I love my G36K - the G36C is great indorrs and out as well).

Ah hell, I love all my guns.

But then, you could always get the new Tokyo Marui vz.61 Scorpion

/shrug

Zekk05 05-08-2007 10:54 AM

M249 all the way.
anything less is uncivilized.

Whisper 05-08-2007 11:09 AM

Alright, thanks for all the great advice, probably my only other questions would be is how much a gas blow back SOCOM is going to run me for upkeep? eg. refilling with gas and pellets. I realize it will vary with use, but I'm just kinda looking for an average. As much as I'm willing to pour as much money as I can into the sport, I do have a daughter and a wife who will be less than impressed if I spend TOO much ;). Oh yeah, and also I don't suppose there is anywhere to get metal parts for a FAMAS, it being an older gun? Also, I know XT offers upgrades and repairs and such, do they offer any kind of instructional course so I can learn a bit more about Airsoft guns and how they work? A lot of the technical specs are pretty greek to me still. (I guess I should probably just ask them when I go in next, but I thought this would be a little easier)

Vortex 05-08-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekk05
M249 all the way.
anything less is uncivilized.

LOL support guns are the way to go