Xtreme Tactics Forum

Xtreme Tactics Forum (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airsoft Related (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   fields that allow hi-powered sniper rifles (http://xtreme-tactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1310)

sidewinder 12-06-2007 10:23 PM

fields that allow hi-powered sniper rifles

question is there any manitoba fields that allow hi-powered rifles i was given a Warrior L96

i know some ones bound to ask about my backround so here its

i am a seasoned mil-sim paintball player over 3 years experince + multiple tournaments now wanting to switch over due to cost and weapon realisim

what are the general rules of engagement when firing sniper ?
im guessing a no fire distance of about 50-75 ft and require a spotter or carry a sidearm for engagement under the required sniper engagement distance

DRAVEN 12-07-2007 08:29 AM

Ok here are the maa sniper rules

the max fps for a sniper rifle is 470fps with a .2 bb the Minimum engagement range is 20 yards, if a target is with in thoses 20 yards the sniper must use a side arm or not take the shot, any rilfe shooting over 400 fps with a .2 must not have full auto of any type.

hope that clears it up for ya

MrWong 12-07-2007 04:38 PM

Having fired a Warrior I with the stock spring still installed I wouldn't feel comfortable with anyone firing that thing at me at any distance under 120 feet, if that. Over 490FPS with a 0.25g BB is a bit hot for my taste.
However, you can easily trim the existing spring or aquire a weaker spring since the cylinder assembly is compatible with the Maruzen APS/ CA M-24 cylinder.

sidewinder 12-07-2007 05:35 PM

thanks to both of you for your help exactly what i was after

been curious any opinions on 6mm paint ?

also to MrWong i was anticipating some one would say somthing about this rifles fps it slices through a pop can like butter stock

MrWong 12-07-2007 10:57 PM

I'm pretty sure that most will agree that 6mm paintballs were an attempt to bring airsoft and paintball closer together...which failed miserably. Most paintball guns are designed to disassembled in case a paintball explodes in the chamber. This kind of design was never taken into account when designing an airsoft gun so you may find it difficult to remove the paint if something like that does occur. Heck, if I remember the internals of the Warrior I correctly you could have paint inside your gun and all over your cylinder if the magazine decides to feed incorrectly never mind firing it.
You'll also find that most paintballers don't want to play with someone firing 6mm paint. It was never explained to me fully but that was the opinion I was given back in the day.
If you want to play at XT indoors you'll need to bring that gun all the way down to 350FPS with a 0.20g BB. XT does have an outdoor field but I'm unsure as to exactly what their FPS rules are for bolt action rifles. You can always call them and ask or one of their moderators will hop on here and answer.
If you decide to play at a Manitoba Airsoft Association game the rules that Draven described above are what you need to keep in mind.
There are several groups of players here in Manitoba, you might find one who will let you play with your the way it is now. Given how easy it is to find a replacement spring to bring the rifle down to a safer level though I'd recommend going that route.

ThunderCactus 12-08-2007 01:06 AM

I chrono'd Amos's new L96 and it was shooting right at 442 with .20s and I think that was an Echo or warrior.
Either way airsoft guns were NOT designed for paintballs and its very difficult to make a paintball to the same tolerances as airsoft BBs, so most paintballs will fail in or before the barrel. I don't know about paintballers views on 6mm paintballs, but I wouldn't want someone using paintballs in an airsoft game lol

TheToastmaster 12-08-2007 07:09 AM

Also, the only 6mm paintballs I've seen are not remotely round, so I wouldn't even reccomend using them for anything at all other than maybe blowing them out a straw at your siblings (if you have any). The ones I got didn't even break when I fired them out of the springer they came with.

sidewinder 12-08-2007 07:11 PM

ok thanks i am a member of canadian paintball we have a mil-sim field out of winnipeg we use .43's in some of our low cal pistols so micro rounds are not looked down upon the reason i had asked was if the rounds where useable then the rifle could be used for both purposes

I know this is off topic but i just fell in love with a atoz dragunov is it worth the price tag?

MrWong 12-14-2007 09:34 PM

Amos' new L96 is a BE (Both Elephants...don't laugh, Coca Cola translated in Chinese is "Bite the wax tadpole") and thus as a much lower FPS than the Warrior I even though it's 99.9% the same rifle.
The AtoZ Dragunov SVD has mixed reviews. Most who buy an SVD expect semi-auto fire just like the real one. If that's what you're after then the King Arms version is probably your best bet. If memory serves 204Hoe has one in his collection.
There are positive aspects for the AtoZ. There are standardized upgrades for it although none of them are labelled as such (eg: I believe it takes a standard AEG spring for a replacement)
The one thing that overrides all of this (unless you plan on using it as a wall hanger) is do you have the patience and discipline to use a single-shot rifle. I don't pretend to know all of the airsofters in Manitoba but I do know a good number of them. Of those I know there's only two I can count who use a single-shot full time. Most others get tired of getting killed over and over by those with full and semi-auto and go back to their AEG's. I'm not trying to turn you away from it but I am trying to make you aware of it.

sidewinder 12-15-2007 02:23 AM

thank you for the advice
i am aware that playing sniper takes skill and dedacation

most pepole see shooting bolt action as a disadvantage i look at it as being a challange

honestly i dont feel the need to fire a 700 rpm aeg
when i can strike fear with just one bb

the biggest thing i see when someone trys to play sniper in paintball anyways is they move when not necicary and take pot shots that they know that they definitly cant hit and reveal there position which is a huge mistake