Xtreme Tactics Forum  

Go Back   Xtreme Tactics Forum > main > Airsoft Related
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 AM
not so n00b

Unhappy Last battery question

Ive done some research at http://www.airsplat.com/airsoft-batteries.htm and read most of the material on Ni-MH and ni-Cad and they come up with these 2 batteries:

NiCad: Lower Battery Capacity, High Discharge/Charge Rate / Inexpensive
NiMH: Lower Discharge/Charge Rate, Expensive

for a m249 would i want

high discharge/low battery capacity
low discharge/high battery capacity?

Little vague on the site when it came to what you want from an AEG...help
Old 09-22-2006, 01:49 AM
better than n00b

Send a message via ICQ to Zekk05 Send a message via AIM to Zekk05 Send a message via MSN to Zekk05 Send a message via Yahoo to Zekk05

First Q, what kind of 249? M249, M249 mk2, M249 Para?

For any of the 249 varients, youre gonna want something with a very high mAH. At least 3000+. That way youll never have to worry about a battery running outta juice on the field. For the mk2, this is easy, as the stock fits a large battery. The other two use mini's. Voltage wise, 8.4v is more than enough to get a good rate of fire without shredding any internals. Stick to nimh as well.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:05 AM
andrew said to change his title, so i did. -admin

I agree, don't bother with NiCd. They take abuse better than NiMH but they're a dated technology and the energy density is much lower, which is why you don't see any Sub C NiCd cells over 2300 mAh or so. High capacity NiMH are certainly not low discharge. A few years ago that may have been true but the R/C community's demands for high performance, race-bred cells has turned out NiMHs that perform a lot better than NiCd equivalents. Intellect brand seems to be the current leader in the market.

I run a 7.2V 4200 mAh Intellect pack in my M249 and it's fantastic. Easy to find (Eliminator R/C has them in stock), tons of power, has no trouble pushing a 400 fps spring to 800 RPM which is more than an adequate rate of fire for me.

Whatever you do, do NOT get a high capacity 9.6V and run it in a stock gun. You can ask Zekk about that one and how long it took me to change his shredded piston.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 PM
not so n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekk05
Voltage wise, 8.4v is more than enough to get a good rate of fire without shredding any internals.

Funny thing is, I upgrade all the internals except the gears. deepfire piston, systema Al head, M100 spring, systema spring guide with bearings...pretty solid internal upgrades. Even with these upgrades still would a 8.4v 3000+mAh be more then enough?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:50 PM
better than n00b

Send a message via ICQ to Zekk05 Send a message via AIM to Zekk05 Send a message via MSN to Zekk05 Send a message via Yahoo to Zekk05

Quote:
Whatever you do, do NOT get a high capacity 9.6V and run it in a stock gun. You can ask Zekk about that one and how long it took me to change his shredded piston.

It wasnt just the battery that did it, it was a combination of the battery and hop up. If it was an 8.4, it woulda done the same, only not as quickly.

the ROF on a 9.6v is crazy high and not required. Youll go through ammo way too fast. 8.4 is more than enough for me.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:17 PM
not so n00b

I'll consider looking into an 8.4v then. I appriciate the help in the decision making process, thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:03 PM
not so n00b

So i Found a Intellect 8.4V 4200mAh - Large Type ( Ni-MH ) would be the best for my M249 MK2. but, when looking for a charger, all i find is 400-3000mAh chargers..are just normal 1.8A chagers that take 3 hours to charge it up good enough. Because I was interested into buynig a Fuzzy logic charger.. any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:27 PM

DuraTrax Intellipeak ICE. Highly recommended. The 18A power supply is required to power the charger and comes separately.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:38 AM
not so n00b

wicked, from the reviews looks adept. Whats the name of the 18A power supply I canounldt read teh small print. or can i just get any 18A power supply?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:12 AM

Any power supply that will provide the requisite current will do, I think the ICE calls for 15A minimum. That's probably far in excess of what you need for airsoft; the charger will break in motors for R/C cars which takes about 10A continuous current. However since it's a requirement for the unit you're best sticking with what they recommend as it may come up as a warranty issue if you ever need repairs. Any good R/C hobby shop will carry power supplies too.