Thread: Max FPS
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 06:46 AM
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volatile Psychosis
The solution of course is to get reinforced metal gears and bushings.

If you're only running 350 fps you can use stock gears.

Quote:
I've been looking at some of the retailer sites, and notice that in the long run, I can save some cash buy purchasing an internal upgrade "kit" that in addition to new gears and bushings, include enhanced springs and the such. This seems like an ideal solution, but the base upgrade makes the jump up to 350fps.

Be careful with that....many times upgrade kits ratings are based on the spring, but other components affect FPS as well. I have a spring rated at 360 fps and my gun shoots 395.

And avoid the Hurricane-brand upgrade kits - the quality control is shit. Really.

Quote:
Obviously, I don't see the need to go any higher than 350 myself, but I realize a stock m4, the basis of my gun, is only a 275fps weapon. 75fps isn't an insignificant increase in speed.

Upgrading your personal skills is generally better than upgrading your weapon. A veteran player with a stock gun will outplay a noob with an upgraded gun 90% of the time.

All you really need is metal bushings for longevity and a mild spring to make a significant difference. I like PDI springs - go with a PDI 120. Metal bushings? You can get pretty much any brand, but I like Guarder Double Oil Channel bushings or even Systema Bearing Bushings with a mild spring. A bigger difference will be seen with the following:

1. Tightbore barrel
2. Heavier ammo (.25 as opposed to the .2 that most players use)
3. For M-series guns, a better hopup (First Factory Strike Chamber) since the M4 hopup sucks balls (Unless you buy a Marui M4S)

You don't need 9.6 volts unless you're powering a really high tension spring - these guns were engineered for 8.4 volts. Add more and your internals (gears, motor) will wear out sooner. Also consider that 9.6 volts will really eat up your ammo...if you're going to be playing realisitically with low-capacity magazines, a really high rate of fire means you'll be changing mags a lot; that makes you a liability to your team. It also means you'll need more mags, and better gear to carry those extra mags in, making you heavier, bulkier, slower, and noisier.

Bigger isn't always better in this sport, and knowledge is power. I'd suggest if you're mainly playing at XT (where vegetation penetration isn't an issue) then just stick to a stock mechbox and just do the 3 upgrades I mentioned above. Your gun will last forever and you won't have to worry about mechanical problems. Being a new player with an uber-upgraded gun is not going to get you more kills at XT - it's going to increase the chance that you'll hurt someone.